Sydney & Denny

Sydney & Denny
September at the Park

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cleanliness.


I think I'm a Butler!
I know the my job title is that of SAHD. I know that my job description is really vague. It is my job to basically do all things domestic in our home. It's kind of always been that way in my marriage to Stacy, and I don't mind. We have always had a kind of backwards relationship in that regard. I am the least mechanically inclined person to ever walk the earth. It's really disappointing to my dad, as he is very mechanically inclined to say the least. To this day if I tried to change the oil in my car, well let's just say the car would probably be totaled out when I was done. It's that bad. I can not put things together. At least not quickly or well. I occasionally try to put together a chair or a desk or something but without fail, there's something wrong with it, or I take a day and a half to do a half hour job. My mind just doesn't work like that. My wife's on the other hand does. When Christmas gets here, if we have any gifts for the kids needing assembly, Stacy will be on it. I'll be in charge of eating Santa's milk and cookies. That I can do!
As I was saying, my job description is vague. I am in charge of taking care of the kids, cleaning the house, doing laundry, paying bills, preparing meals, and watching sports on TV. I am good at all of those things too. I just get frustrated sometimes with my job description. The kids always need taking care of, the house always needs cleaning, there is always laundry that needs to be done, there is always bills that need to be paid, we always need meals prepared, and there is ALWAYS sports that I can watch on TV! It's a never ending cycle.
 I try. I really do.
I work really hard to keep our home running at optimum level, but I sometimes feel like I'll never get everything done. For example, today I had to wash some bedding that had been peed on(my son sometimes pees through his pull-up at night.) I had to fit that into all the other laundry that needed to be done. The dishes needed to be washed, the kitchen floor was in dire need of a sweeping and the kids needed to eat at some point. I also was up against a time limit. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about having to do all of that. It's what needs to be done and I do it happily. The part that gets frustrating is, tomorrow I'll have to do pretty much the same thing all over again. The thing that gets me through it is that I've accepted that I'm never going to get it all done. If I don't get all the laundry done today, it will be there tomorrow waiting for me, with reinforcements. I can take that. If I don't sweep the floor today, that dirt will be there tomorrow waiting for me. If I don't feed the kids today, they can always wait until tomorrow to eat. Wait, that's not right. I guess I have to make sure I feed the kids, even though as I said here they don't always eat what I give them. I have just realized that it never ends so there is no sense stressing about it. I've said it before, I love my "job" and wouldn't trade what I get "paid" for anything else in the world. I get to be home with the kids and that's a currency that can't have a value placed on it. So tomorrow, I'm going to get up and attack that pile of laundry and try and make a dent in the sink full of dishes. I'm going to try and teach my kids all about what it takes to be a good person while I do all of my other work as well. And, I'm not going to bitch about. I promise! I'm going to make sure that my house is clean. Maybe it's my definition of clean, but by gosh, it's going to be clean!
I'm not sure how he does it!

One final thing tonight.
If you are like me and are a baseball fan, you will know that this week is one of the best weeks of the year. This is baseball's winter meetings week. This is the week all the teams gather in one place and get to make trades and free agent signings. It's really cool, and I probably won't be away from this monitor when I have a spare minute. It's so much fun.
With that, I'm done. You guys have a great night and I'll hopefully see you tomorrow.   
    

2 comments:

  1. Bro, you got that right. Imagine having to do all of that AAAAAAAND....work full time, teach group fitness classes, volunteer, and carry on a relationship with a woman that doesn't live with you.

    I think I'll go drink now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you brother! But it sounds like you have the right perspective. I always say that if I get down or depressed all I have to do is watch the news.... Many other people have it worse than me:)

    Have fun!

    Al

    ReplyDelete