Sydney & Denny

Sydney & Denny
September at the Park

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Disney Vacation

It is the DREAM!
My wife and I have been talking for some time now about the possibility of taking our kids to Disney World in Florida. We have looked at it from all sides of the issue. We both know one thing for certain. We want our kids to have that experience while they are young. I see all of these commercials for Disney vacations and they show the moment when the parents tell the kids that they are going to Disney. The kids freak out with happiness, and that's a moment in time that I want. I want to see the excitement on my kids face, in their eyes, when I tell them we are going to what can only be described as a little piece of Heaven for young kids. I think every parent wants to see that type of joy on the face of their kids. That moment is one of my dreams in life.
The issues.
There are a couple of issues when it comes to bringing that dream to being a reality. My wife and I have tried to decide if our kids are at the right age for a trip to Disney or not. My oldest is four and the younger boy is two. I am of the opinion that my daughter would do okay with a day at the Magic Kingdom, but my boy would have a hard time. We have a hard time containing him at the grocery store, so I know there is no way he would behave anything like a human being if we were there. I sometimes use a stroller just to keep him from running all over the place in normal every day events. I just know he would run away and never be heard from again. Not a thought I like to think about. Plus, I know that we would have to have a stroller at Disney because it's too much to expect a little kid like that to walk all day and not get tired. It's too much to expect ME to walk around Disney all day and be able to stand up at night, but I don't think they make strollers big enough for me. Nor do I think my wife is strong enough to push my fat ass around a theme park all day. So, that's one of the issues we are struggling with.
The next, and biggest, issue is how we can afford the trip financially. I've stated before in this blog that money is not just flowing out of our pockets here in our house. We, like many American families at this point, do not have one of those magical trees in our backyard that grows money. It would be nice to go out and pick a couple of twenties off whenever I needed, but alas, it is not to be. So, seeing how we have trouble always keeping ahead of our bills, fitting what I have been told is an extremely expensive vacation into our already stretched thin budget, is almost an impossibility. I have done A LOT OF RESEARCH on this topic however. What I have found is that it can be done. They have a lot of vacation packages at Disney that are actually quite affordable. Plus, they allow you to make payments on whatever package you choose. I'm not going to get into the numbers or the offered packages and payment arrangements, but I think we could find a way to make it happen. The thing is, finding the money to put the down payment down on the vacation of our dreams. My wife and I have talked about taking our income tax refund and using that, and then paying on the vacation for a year before we go. That leads us back to the first issue. When is the appropriate age to take the kids? By answering this question we will know when it is that we want to start making a year's worth of payments. Make sense?
I would like to get your thoughts on the appropriate age to take kids to Disney, or any stories you have to share about a trip you've taken there. Any advise on the best way to go about this sort of adventure would be great as well.
I will say this, we have decided that if we were to ever come into a large sum of money(meaning hitting the lottery) we would immediately take off for the Magic Kingdom. To heck with the ages of the kids!
Thanks again, and I hope to hear some really cool Disney stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment