Sydney & Denny

Sydney & Denny
September at the Park

Friday, October 29, 2010

Groundhog Day.

I know it's in February.
So, I'll just ask it. Are there any other SAHDs out there that feel like they are living the same day over and over? Sometimes that's the case for me. I made the case for routines a while back, and well, I've gotten my wish. In our house we have settled into a nice little routine of how are day goes. It's almost the same every day. The only thing that changes is the time(or if) my wife goes into work. Otherwise we have almost fallen into a rut. It's because of this that I think my kids are acting out.
It's my fault really.
In my quest for stability and order, I have made my kids into robots of a sort. Apparently they don't like that! Maybe it's why they both took swings at me today. Yeah, you read that right, both of my kids attempted to hit me today. At separate times they both misbehaved and received the obligatory scolding. Nothing major, just an explanation as to what they did wrong, why it was wrong, and that it will not be tolerated again. Well, they both disagreed with me, and resisted by using force. Of course neither time went over well with me. Needless to say they both lost some of their favorite toys for a while.
That leads me back to our routine. I think that my kids were just acting out due to boredom. We've gotten to the point where every day seems the same. We go to the park at the same time, we eat lunch and dinner at the same time, we take baths at the same time. Separately of course. I just read that sentence and realized it could be misconstrued by certain people. It's getting pretty monotonous. I've really got to switch things up before they kill me!  I've tried so hard to give them structure that they've turned against me.
Bill Murray will wake up to a different song!
Tomorrow the alarm clock will go off and it won't be "I Got You Babe" playing on our radio. It's going to be different and exciting. I've realized my mistake and vow not to repeat it. I am going to find a way to give structure to our lives, while changing things up enough to keep them on their toes. And from trying to injure their Daddy.
Any ideas on how I can go about keeping things new and exciting in our daily existence? 

1 comment:

  1. Gotta look for opportunities and seize them. Explore. Try different parks, games, foods. Go on walks. Just pull the car over and randomly stop into a strange store. Talk only in rhyme or song. Structure is good ... but it's also too defining.

    And, uh, yeah -- lay off the bathing at the same time ;)

    Cheers ...

    ReplyDelete