Sydney & Denny

Sydney & Denny
September at the Park

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The 5th Birthday!

Yesterday was the big day!
I think that I've mentioned a few(dozen) times that yesterday was my daughter's fifth birthday. I just want to say that it was an amazing day. We started out by eating the exact breakfast she wanted. Pancakes from McDonald's with strawberries and whipped cream. Mommy made it look really cool by making smiley faces with the fruit and cream. Sydney usually isn't a big breakfast girl, but she hoovered her breakfast then. We then spent the day up until it was time to go to school doing exactly what she wanted to do. When she said she wanted to do something, we did it. Now that I think about it, that's not any different than any other day around here. So, her Royal Highness, Princess Sydney allowed us to go to the store and pick up her cake and the cupcakes she was taking to her class. At school they went on a short field trip to the fire station in town, and because it was her birthday, she got to sit in the truck! She was very excited about that. After school it was off to my parents for her party. We had one of her favorite meals for dinner, hot dogs and chips and dip. My wife makes this killer dip(which she got the recipe from my mom, who got it from her mom) that is actually very simple. Cream cheese and milk blended together. Not the most healthy of dishes, but it is so good. My kids eat the heck out it. Shoot, Denny eats it straight without chips. I may have to watch for childhood obesity with that one! 
Then it was on to the gifts for Princess Sydney, and that really made me feel amazing. She got quite a few good gifts that had her really excited, but when she opened her gift from Mommy and Daddy, it was like her head was going to explode! To be fair, we are with her all the time and know exactly what she wanted, and she does always get what she wants, so...
I'm such a pushover.
My grandfather always gives the kids on their birthdays whatever cash he may have in his pocket at the time and he came through again with Sydney. Usually its like $5-$10, and she got $8. She wanted to spend it right away, so we went to Wal-Mart before going home. We decided that she would get this one gift she has been asking for that we hadn't gotten her already. It's one of those Pillow Pets. It's a pillow that folds up and looks like a stuffed animal. She wanted the unicorn one, and of course she picked it up right away. We felt that it wouldn't be fair if she got an extra gift and Denny didn't get anything, so he got one too, only a dog. Each one was $20, and with Sydney contributing her eight, we are now on the hook for $32! As we walked around the store she noticed a Barbie doll she has been wanting and that became the object of her obsession immediately. It was also $20. We told her she could only get one thing, and since there was only two unicorns left she should stay with the pillow pet. This led to lots of tears and just utter sadness from her. I tried to reason with her, but she really wanted that Barbie, and the unicorn. I'll bet anyone can guess what happened from here right? Yep, she got both. I can't help it, she's my little girl and if it's at all within my power, she will get anything she wants. I know that I spoil her, but she's mine and I'll deal with the spoiledness when it come up. She is really good about taking no for an answer when the times come up that I have to tell her no due to lack of funds. She seems to kind of get that. I know I talked about her not getting the concept of money in this post but, I think she realizes that when I say we don't have the money for something, it means we can't get it. At that point anyway. She also knows that when we do have the money, she will get her Daddy to buy her anything she wants. There is going to come a time when she wants a car, and I'm screwed. Someone please tell me how to stop being such a pushover with my kids, and my wife for that matter as well. 
Anyways, I've included some pictures of the big day here. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed living them! Have a great night!
                                            Right after she woke up. She's not a morning person!
                                                           Her haul of gifts!
                                                            Breakfast with Denny.
                                                My Grandfather, Denny, Sydney and my niece Ava.
                                                       Isn't she beautiful?
                                                             They do get along sometimes.


                                   And of course, the cake with horses!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so you're a pushover. I don't think that there is any help for you. You are what you are. Just suck it up! But it is hard to resist the charms of a daughter. I hear where you're coming from.
    I hope that she had the best birthday ever.
    Take care.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys had the best day. I don't think you are so much a push over, I mean it was her bithday... My little guys don't get much throughout the year, so we really go all out on birthdays and Christmas, you sound like such a great dad!!!

    Thanks for the funny comment on my blog, you will have to link up some of those quotes next week!

    I am your newest follwer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, thanks and you're right. My daughter is hard to resist. She knows how to work her magic on her Daddy that's for sure.
    Jennifer, thanks for following me and thanks for the compliment. However if you read my latest post, I don't feel like the best Dad right about now. We did have a great day though, and we will have lots more. I love your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete