Sydney & Denny

Sydney & Denny
September at the Park

Friday, November 19, 2010

Tiger Woods.

Is he great?
I have always rooted for Tiger on the golf course. Against every wish of my father, but I have rooted for him nonetheless. I think the reason I have been a fan is that I very much appreciate excellence. I believe I'm like my Dad in that way. He always rooted for Jack Nicklaus. Nicklaus was the greatest golfer of his generation, and for now, the greatest golfer of all time. So, it's just one more thing that my Dad and I disagree on. What we don't disagree on however is that it's not just what a man does on the golf course, or the football field, baseball diamond, in the board room or wherever else that defines him. It's what he does with his life that really matters. To me, and my Dad, it's what you do as a husband and a father that defines you. It is for that reason that I find what Tiger Woods did to his family to be reprehensible. By committing adultery, he hurt the three people that are most important in his life. His wife and his kids. He lied to them every single day, and that is not going to be easy to explain when the day comes that he has to own up to his now young children about his past.
Tiger has undoubtedly been more than successful on the golf course, and in the business sector. He has failed in his personal life however. So, I ask again, Is he great?
Can he be forgiven?
I believe that we all make mistakes in life. Weather it be big or small, what really matters is owning up to the mistake, and making sure it doesn't happen again. That in my opinion is pretty much the definition of learning and growing. And, if that's not what we are doing, then just what are we doing? If we are not learning and growing as people, as parents, as sons and daughters, then what are we really doing? That is why I believe we are all deserving of second chances in life. I know that opens up a whole different can of worms about the severity of someones' acts being deserving of a second chance. So, I will say it here. NO, someone who deliberately hurts, kills, rapes, or causes emotional and psychological harm to another person, intentionally, DOES NOT DESERVE A SECOND CHANCE! Did Tiger Woods do any of these things? I don't believe he did. I think if you know enough about the situation, and listen to and read his explanations, you will know that he didn't do any of the things he did with the intention of hurting his wife and kids. Like I said, I find the act of adultery to be just about as bad as it gets. The man cheated on his wife. And to me, that means he cheated on his kids just as much. I would never be able to look any member of my family in the face again if I so much as touched another woman. I made a commitment to my wife, and now my children, to be fiercely loyal to them. I take that commitment very seriously. First of all, I love my family more than I can put into words, but more importantly, I don't understand the concept of adultery. That's a whole different blog post however. What's important here is what I will ask again. Can he be forgiven?
It's your choice.
I have watched the situation with Tiger Woods unfold very closely because I am a fan, as I have readily admitted. It hurts me to think that someone I respected treated his family so horribly. Especially since I value my family so much. My wife and kids are everything to me, and I would never hurt them, but he did. So, I have to make a choice. And after reading him in Newsweek, and listening to him in an ESPN Radio interview, I have decided to forgive him.  I have decided that I believe him when he says he is owning up to his mistakes and moving forward with his life. I believe he really feels that before he can be a better player, he has to be a better person. I believe him and I forgive him. The question I keep asking myself is though, would I be able to forgive my wife for doing to me what Tiger did to his wife? I know for a fact that I will NEVER have to answer that question. But, the question I ask you is, do you forgive Tiger? It's your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment