Sydney & Denny

Sydney & Denny
September at the Park

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dad at home with the kids on a rainy day!

Well, I hate rain!!! 
I have arthritis in a few places on my body, and it is severely affected by the rain. I almost think I'm getting old, but that can't be the case can it?
The rain has created an inside day for the kids and I, and that's not always a bad thing. Right now I have "The Princess and The Frog" on and our sleeper couch pulled out for them to lay down and watch the movie. Although, this might be the time that sets the record for most times a DVD has been played on one TV being that it is the 1,345,852 time we have watched this particular Disney classic. I've actually become fond of a number of Disney movies/shows in the four, almost five, years that I've been a parent. I am a HUGE fan of "Phineas and Ferb." I even named my Fantasy Football team Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc. after the evil scientist on the show!  I love how Disney puts in a lot of their shows adult themes that are not really distinguishable by the children watching, but make it funny for the parents. I think it's a genius move on their part, plus it brings the kids and the parents together, which I really like.
In the past I have had trouble with patience with my kids(and wife.) I take after my namesakes in that regard(I am named after my father and grandfather,) and I am determined to change that. I do not want my son to be as impatient and irritable as I have been.  I remember growing up and being scared to death that I'd piss my dad off, and I could see his father was the same way when they were younger. Now as an adult I see why my dad was like that. The pressures and stresses of adulthood, and especially parenthood, can make it hard sometimes. In addition to that, when you're not really good at showing affection like my dad was(is) it makes it seem like you're always cranky. Well, now I am a parent to two kids that I am really trying to focus on raising as even tempered and well adjusted people. What I am not sure of, what does that really mean? I believe it's good to show emotion and passion even if that means acting out sometimes. I believe passion is important in everyone's life, but anger and impatience is just childlike. That's how I acted until a few months ago when I realized that I was being stupid and pushing my wife away instead of making things better. I was just being a cranky pain because I was bummed that I wasn't doing what I wanted in my life. I realized it's okay, because maybe I wasn't put here to teach and coach like I've always wanted, but I'm here to raise these two amazing kids. Maybe that is what the plan is for me, and instead of being upset about it, be happy that I am lucky enough to have two healthy kids that look up to me for some strange reason. I've said for some time now that I feel like the luckiest man alive, and now I've really accepted that it is true.
Now that being said, I feel like running out into the nearest expressway when all I hear is "Denny hit me" and "AHHHH" after nap time! I want to scream and yell myself(and sometimes do,) but I catch myself more and more and remember that only two more days and it's the weekend, and I get to watch Michigan football on Saturday and my beloved Lions on Sunday!!!
I hope all is well with you and always remember "Success is a journey not a destination."

No comments:

Post a Comment