Sydney & Denny

Sydney & Denny
September at the Park

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Kids and TV

What to watch.
I have been giving a lot of thought lately to what and how much TV my kids watch. I really try and limit the use of the TV as a babysitter, but I fear that I do use it that was from time to time. It's hard for me not to. Especially during the day when I have housework to do. It's really easy to put a show on and let them watch it while I clean the kitchen, or sort the laundry. And the fact that I seem to ALWAYS have those two things to do is a subject for another blog post. There are a couple of shows that if I put on, both of my kids will sit quietly and watch. I don't have to worry about them getting into anything, or fighting, or causing the usual amount of mayhem. Some of the shows they watch are actually good for them, and some of them are just plain entertainment.
Our show!
We are a TV family. I have come to face that reality, and I'd actually like to change that. My wife and I have a whole list of shows that we watch during the week. On top of that, I have my sports on TV, and the various sports information shows(not to mention any by names but Duh Duh Duh, Duh Duh Duh!) My kids have unfortunately learned that behavior from us. I really wish we were more active as a family. I just don't seem to be able to make the appropriate changes to my(our) life in order to become more active. I try and take the kids outside to play when it's nice, and I try and encourage them be active. However, I don't do nearly a good enough job with it. Heck, like I've said, I encourage them to watch TV at times. 
I like to consider myself somewhat intelligent, and able to make decent decisions. That is why I try and put educational shows on for the kids to watch. I try and keep the PBS shows on in the mornings, but there is one show that our entire family has come to love. It is on Disney and DisneyXD most of the time. It is called Phineas and Ferb. I actually love the show. It has enough adult themes for grown ups to like, yet not so much that the kids even notice it. It's really funny, and the kids love Perry the Platypus. Is it the most educational? No. But, as much as I want them to not be couch potatoes, I think TV is supposed to be recreational at times. I think it is okay to have fun with the TV, and that show actually brings us together. Another one like that is America's Funniest Home Videos. My kids seem to love that show. Even though I think it does give my son ideas! There are too many dads getting hit in the crotch on that show! He sees that and I know from the look in his eyes that I'm bound to have that happen at some point. 
What they learn.
I brought up the fact that my son gets ideas from AFV, but that can't be the only place on TV that he gets ideas from. I really worry about some of the things on TV these days. And, it's not just the shows. We can be watching a perfectly ok show, and a commercial will come on for some movie that is not something I think is ok for me to watch yet alone my kids. I always try to have the remote close by so I can quickly switch the channel away from those types of commercials. Heck, my son was sitting on my lap at the computer today and I went to some body's blog that had a picture of something from Halloween. He got all nervous and covered his eyes. That sort of stuff is everywhere. Don't get me started on the subject of sex on TV. I am not looking forward to the day when I have to tell them why they shouldn't be watching that sort of stuff. And I DEFINITELY am not looking forward to when I have to tell my wife to have "the talk" with them. There was an article that I found on kidshealth.org that talked about this subject. It talked about how TV and movies make violence, drugs, sex and other of those types of behaviors seem cool. How can kids not pick up on that sort of stuff. Your can find the entire article at the link I have provided.http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/family/tv_affects_child.html#
Blogs I enjoy
As I mentioned in my last post, in the last couple of weeks I have come across a lot of blogs that I really like. There are so many good blogs on being a SAHD, and so much for me to learn. I am really new at being a SAHD, and even newer at being a blogger. That makes it hard for me to know blogs are really good, and what blogs are complete BS. I do know that Keith Wilcox has a really enjoyable blog that is also really informative. It is at http://www.almightydad.com/
I hope if you get the chance you check it out. I have even been lucky enough to have had Keith give me few pointers, and I would like to thank him if he is reading this.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment