Sydney & Denny

Sydney & Denny
September at the Park

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Halloween costumes

Why bother?
So it is that time of year again. Yep, it's that season where my daughter decides what she wants to be for Halloween, then changes her mind about 50 times. Of course, she started deciding what she wanted to be for this year on about November 1st of last year. Apparently she likes to dress up as stuff. I don't know where she gets it from. When I was a kid, I wanted to be one of two things. A football player or Luke Skywalker. Those were my only options as far as I was concerned. I wanted to be a football player because the rule at school was that we could only play tackle football if we all had pads and helmets on. Well, since we had virtually the same boys in school every year, a lot of us were football players with pads and helmets on. Oh sure, we would play tackle all of the time, but inevitably we would get caught and sent to the principal's office. We would write our sentences, or stay inside for whatever time we were sentenced to, but we would still end up tackling each other. It's just how it is with young boys. Or, I could be Luke Skywalker because it would be SO COOL to carry a lightsaber around school all day. Well, since I had nothing in terms of lightsabers but lots of football equipment, I always went as a football player. Except for 2nd grade. That was the year I have tried unsuccessfully to wipe from my Halloween memory banks. My mom dressed me as a hobo. A stupid ass hobo!!! I'm sorry Mom, but that just sucked, really bad. I cried all day, which come to think of it, I probably would do if I were a real hobo.
Anyway, my point is that it doesn't really matter what a kid is for Halloween. We live in a part of the country where there is a decent chance that every kid you see will be in the same costume: a snowmobile suit! At that point, it doesn't really matter what is on underneath all of that warm clothing.
It matters to her.
I would be a really horrible daddy, and I think husband, if I didn't care at least a little what my kids dressed up as for Halloween. I do care, I really do. It's just that I don't care in the same way as my daughter, or my wife. My little girl wants something that she finds to be really cool. Right now she really likes princesses and Jessie from Toy Story. I think we have even settled on her being a pink Supergirl. With the "S" on the front it will in her mind stand for "Super Sydney." I think that is really cool. My wife likes it, so I'm good with that. My wife looks at this decision by thinking about what would be cute. I look at it thinking about what the kids could wear that would be best worn in colder weather. For example, she thought that my little boy would look cute as a boxer, or as BamBam. Well, she's right, he would look cute. However, if it's even somewhat cool that evening, he's going to freeze his little tukus off. She eventually settled on of all things, football player! How ironic huh?
My blog experience.
I have been writing this blog for a little over two weeks now and I have been having a lot of fun with it. I really hope that it's been fun for anyone who has read it as well. I have also been reading a lot of other blogs about being a Stay at Home Dad(or SAHD.) I've come to really look forward to reading a few of them, and as I continue on with this, I am going to be mentioning a few of them. The first one I'd like to mention is from a guy I find to be really funny, and has a really unique take on the whole SAHD thing. Here is a link to his site:http://bigdaddypaul.com/about/
I hope you check it out and enjoy it as much as I do.
Thank you and always remember: Always be prepared. That's not just the Boyscout motto, it's great parenting advise as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment